Fettuccine Alfredo is notorious for being super high in FAT. All of you on diets turn your heads when you see this one on a menu or would never even think about making this creamy satisfying classic dish. Well let me tell you this low-cal remake of this is amazing. The lemon added in is just enough to even make this even more unique and delicious.
This dish per serving is under 500 calories while your typical Alfredo sauce is over 1000 calories. YIKES!!!!!
Serves about 4.
1 T. unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t. grated fresh lemon zest
2 t. all-purpose flour
1 c. low-fat milk. (Oberweis is the best tasting)
2 T. low-fat cream cheese
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
3 T. fresh parsley
12 ounces of fresh fettuccine
Freshly ground pepper
- Make the sauce. Melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and lemon zest and cook until the garlic is slightly soft. (About 1-2 minutes)
- Add the flour and cook stirring with a wooden spoon. (About 1 minute)
- Whisk in the milk and 3/4 t. salt and cook whisking constantly, until thickened. (About 3 minutes)
- Add the cream cheese and the parmesan cheese. Whisk until melted (About 1 minute)
- Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the noodles.
- Add the fettuccine and cook until al dente. (About 2-3 minutes)
- Reserve 1 cup cooking water, and then drain the pasta and return it back to its pot.
- Add the sauce and 1/2 c. of the reserved cooking water to the pasta and toss and combine. Add more cooking water as needed to loosen.
- Season with salt.
- Divide into bowls and top with parmesan cheese and pepper
Enjoy! Serve with a warm baguette and add some butter if you would like. We made Italian sausage and peppers to go with it as well.